Thursday, August 2, 2012

With change comes objections



Flipping your classroom is a daunting task. It is not easy, takes a big time investment from the teacher up front, and requires patience when it is being implemented for the first time. You may encounter resistance from students, parents, administrators and your peer teachers.  You will experience technical difficulties - both your own and your students. Kids will not magically start doing their homework, nor will they all become fluent language speakers.

So, with all the issues, why would anyone bother flipping their class? The answer for me is easy...because the traditional way of teaching was not working for me or my students. I was spending so much time lecturing and "leading" class, that many students could get good grades without truly learning the material. I had other groups of students that could keep their head down and be quiet, make their "C" and also not really learn much. Then of course there was the third group (albeit small) that just ignored me as much as possible and barely made it through class. This was not acceptable to me and I knew I had to find another way. (see earlier posts for my AP story and thematic units.)

Here is my attempt to answer the common objections:
  1. Students won't do the homework. Honestly, this is completely true. Students that continually refuse to do homework in a traditional classroom probably aren't going to do homework in a flipped class. For me, a big difference is that they don't have to do homework. They can plan to watch the videos in class. In fact, I encourage some of my "homework slackers" to do it that way.
  2. I will lose my relationship with my students. From my experience last year, and talking to other teachers that have flipped, the complete opposite is true. Since I am not being a "sage on the stage", I am able to work with students individually and actually have better relationships with them now than I did before the flip. When a student was having a problem with content, or a personal problem, I was able to detect it quickly and help the students work through the issues.
  3. Parents and students will object. Whenever we try new things in the classroom, the one thing we can be sure of is that some parents and students will object. The key is to try to predict the objections and be ready for them. Start the year by explaining the changes you are making and why you are making them. Everyone fears change. Many parents fear change for the sake of change, especially in education. (As a parent myself, I can attest to this!) Make sure you can justify changes that you are making in the classroom BEFORE you make them. Last year, I had only one student at fall conferences who tried to convince her mother that I wasn't teaching and that is why her grade wasn't where it should be. I had many parents tell me how much they loved the lectures via video because it really helped their student.
  4. Peer teachers aren't supportive. I am so fortunate that in my small school with three other foreign language teachers, I always receive support from my fellow teachers. Although I am the only one flipping, I have never heard any of them be negative about this decision. I know that many other teachers are not so lucky. I believe that it goes back to the fear of change. If our peers have been teaching the same way for years and are comfortable, it is difficult to contemplate changing their methods. I think some teachers fear that if the flipped class works for some teachers that they will be forced to make the change in their classroom if they want to or not.
  5. Putting lectures on videos won't improve learning. Actually, this is something I totally agree with. However, what many people misunderstand about the flipped classroom is that the videos are a small part of the process. What improves learning is what happens in the classroom once the teacher becomes a facilitator and the students take the lead in the learning process. I have been blown away by not only what my students could achieve at the end of last year, but their motivation was even more exciting. So many times, even my good students think of Spanish is something they have to "get through". Last year was the first time I had many students really start to love the language and be excited about class. That to me is the indicator of true success.
My advice to you if you are considering some type of flipped classroom is to be ready for objections, make sure you are making changes for the right reasons, and then to stay the course. Listen to criticism and learn from it. Get support and advice wherever you can find it...if not at your school, then elsewhere in your district or your state. Work on an online PLN and follow other's blogs, Twitter chats and websites. Continue learning, adapting and striving to be the best teacher you can be....that is true success.

Thanks Karla for inspiring this post! Keep commenting!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Heather! This means a lot!

    You have made some excellent points to these objections I keep hearing. Some are points I had thought about myself, but I guess I started to doubt my excitement the more I heard teacher friends say, "oh no, that wouldn't work".

    I think two points you that made will always stick with me from now on: to listen to criticism and learn from it and to get advice from wherever I can. Support is support in any form even if it doesn't come from the people standing right beside you.
    Muchísimas gracias, Heather!
    Karla :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Don't let people dampen your excitedment. I can't wait to hear more about your class as the year progresses!

      Delete
  2. Hi Sra. Witten! I have just spent over an hour looking through your website, and I can't tell you how awesome this is. Thanks for documenting this, and more importantly, for being real about it (i.e. talking about the problems you have encountered, how you fixed them, etc).

    My question is how do you introduce a unit? So say you are starting por vs. para. Do you assign them to watch a video for the night, then the next day, do you review what they watched? Do you go straight into a written practice, or a dialogue? I know this would vary according to topic, but I would just like a general idea of how often you show videos...every couple of nights?

    Also, you kind of answered this question above, but what do you do with the kid who obviously didn't watch your video, didn't look it up in the text. He's in class and everyone else is working on the dialogue....you are walking around...you get to him and he says he didn't watch it. How does he get caught up?

    Also, thanks for the ThingLink shout-out...I've been looking for something like that for FOREVER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melanie!

      When I introduce a new unit, it is all about the theme and the activities, not the specific grammar or vocabulary concepts. The due dates of assignments usually dictate that the student do grammar and vocabulary first. I don't specifically assign the grammar videos. However, as I am walking around helping students, if a student is really struggling with the practice, my first question will be "Let me see your notes." More often than not, the students having problems thought they could "wing it" without getting the material first.

      The answer to your second question goes with the first question. If a student hasn't watched the video at home and has to work on the grammar concepts, they have a couple of choices. First, they can sit in class and watch the video (they are usually under 10 minutes). Second, they can get out a book and take notes from there. (I always give page numbers in the text when I can.) Third, (and my least favorite), they can copy notes from a classmate. I discourage this because they never know if their friend took good notes.

      Interestingly, as the year wore on, many students were unwilling to share their notes with the "repeat offenders". (I love when kids police themselves.)

      I have two grammar and two vocabulary videos per 5 week unit (which with the school calendar can be 6 weeks.) We are on blog schedules so I only see kids every other day. Depending on the unit, I have listening videos and/or tracks for the kids to listen to online as well. Check out the assignment sheet under important docs to get a feel for how the unit runs.

      Hope that helps! Let me know if you have more questions.

      Heather

      Delete